24 December, 2016

Sick Days

Happy #SelfCareSaturday

Today I took care of myself by calling out from work (I had a 3-10 shift at Target) to spend a second day of R&R to finally kick this cold I've had for like 3 weeks (legit though)

So, in short, I did not do much today.

I woke up at about 7 because my phone alarm is set up so it goes off 9 hours after I go to sleep and that was the time for waking by that setup. And then I picked up my Boss Babes adult coloring and activity book and did some of the activities (wasn't much in the mood for coloring).

I also did general basic hygiene stuff like brush my teeth and take a shower (showers are nice bc the steam helps get the goo out of my throat, lungs, and sinuses).

And I called Target to let them know I couldn't come in because of being sick (they weren't too happy about it, but I was like, yo I need to not get more sick and this ended up being a super good call bc I was having some dizzy spells and also some digestive problems throughout the day which would have made a Target shift completely awful).

And I worked on my grad school application statements of purpose. I only got one to a state of close-to-finished (really a first draft which I will have to edit probably), but I figure the other three will be easier than the first one because I will have more of an idea of what I'm doing--because all the guides in the world can't truly prepare you to write 300-1000 words about why you should be accepted to a particular graduate program. My goal is to get this one in this weekend and have drafts of the other three to send to my recommenders so they know why I'm applying to each of the programs.

I also watched a lot of recorded tv. We record a lot of tv in my house and don't get to sit down and watch it that much, so we were down to like 14% of our dvr space being available, and so we had to get through a good chunk of what was in there. Not all of it was mine, but I got the ball rolling and my mom ended up watching a bit of stuff that she's more interested in than me while I went upstairs to read and ended up taking a nap.

I went upstairs with the intent of, like, finishing a book, but after a chapter I was pretty tired, and after two chapters my eyelids were really heavy, so I went ahead and crawled under the covers and took a two hour nap.

When I woke up, it was dinner time, so I had some dinner, and then sat down to watch the last bit of my mom's recorded show, and now we're watching Love Actually and I'm writing.

I mean, I'm sure there were a few other things I did today. Like, I remember reading a really long article about how time management is ruining our lives (SO TRUE) and at some point I reorganized all the little app icons on my phone so that they fit all on one page (folders are so handy), but those are less important than the just-sitting-around-and-resting parts of my day. 

Because, like, getting enough rest, especially when you're sick, is SO important. Like, I started getting a cold on the 3rd of December, guys. That's 3 weeks ago. And I was almost better and then last weekend it started getting worse again (either because I wasn't taking proper care of myself or because my niece came to visit and was a little bit sick and I caught her cold on top of what I already had) and so throughout this week, I was just a big, yucky mess. It was really awful.

So I decided that working a 3:30-midnight shift yesterday and a 3-10 shift today wasn't worth getting more sick because then the rest of 2016 would have been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week.

And I've got things to do that don't involve being a yucky mess. Like enjoying life. And not being a yucky mess. I mean, I'm a yucky mess most of the time anyway, but usually less so.

So, I guess what I'm trying to get across is that it's important to work and contribute to society (even if society doesn't generally recognize what you're doing as contributing bc people are like so rude to retail workers guys) but it's more important to take care of yourself because at the end of the day, you've just got you, and maybe a couple of other people if you're lucky, and you don't wanna miss out on all the good stuff bc you're working yourself sick.

Just take care of yourselves, bbs.

xx,
Sienna
The Fierce Feminist

No comments:

Post a Comment