05 November, 2016

#SelfCareSaturday Math, Chili, and Cat Cuddles!

Happy Saturday, everyone!


I hope everyone's had a lovely day so far and is looking forward to a wonderful evening as well.

Today's #SelfCareSaturday is about making some delicious and warm autumny comfort food (which is what's happening in my house right now) and cat cuddles and snuggling up with a good book.

So, I actually had work this morning because today was the annual "Trimathlon" for some of the Mathnasium centers in the area, and I was working as event staff for one of the centers, but we finished earlier than anticipated, which was nice, and it meant I got to go home early, which was even nicer!

When I arrived at home, my mom was working on putting the ingredients for the chili that I wanted to make with our acorn squash together (I found a cool recipe in a vegan cookbook and was like "this would be a great idea since we already have an acorn squash" so I told my mom about it and she was like "okay, yeah"). However, the recipe technically calls for 8 hours on low in a slow cooker, which caused some logistical issues since it was nearly 4 when I got home, which would have meant a midnight dinner (not so nice) but we're modifying it a little bit by cooking it on the high setting which should cut the time at least in half, and if that's not enough, we'll move it over to the stove for a little while to get it done in time for supper. 

There was also the small matter of the recipe calling for cubed acorn squash but not mentioning if it should be pre-roasted or not. We went with not. That was a silly idea, because it meant we had to peel the acorn squash (because while the skin is full of fiber, it's not really the yummiest part). So we're thinking that next time we want to make this one, we'll probably roast it and then dice it and do it as a stove-top dish, rather than a slow cooker thing because it'll be quicker and easier. But I'm super excited because the whole house smells like this delicious acorn squash chili and I can't wait.

In the meantime, however, I'm getting some cat cuddles with my precious lovebug Lucy and catching up on my reading of Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton (I didn't get a chance to read yesterday because I was busy doing my prep for an evening training session/class for my new job.

My precious Lovebug Lucy 

So, all in all, a pretty good day, since the event this morning was a lot of fun and I have the pleasure of the entire house smelling like acorn squash chili and also cat cuddles and reading--what more could someone want on a Self-Care Saturday.

xx,
Sienna
The Fierce Feminist

1 comment:

  1. Squash chilli sounds so scrumptious and warming - hmmm :)

    ReplyDelete