13 November, 2016

#SelfCareWeekend and deactivating facebook (again)

In the interest of self-care, I didn't do much online this weekend.

I'm coming back around to that point of view that facebook is more of a problem than a solution. Mostly election-related stuff.

It was just about two years ago now that I completely turned off my facebook for my own mental health in the wake of a very traumatic situation for me and many of those who I care a lot about.

And now here I am, thinking of turning it off again.
Because it's mostly negative energy most of the time.
Because it's more trouble than it's worth.
Because I just don't have time to deal with that.

But at the same time as it's all of those things, I have a lot of friends with whom I don't get to communicate much without it. Friends in other countries, and now friends from college, since we've all moved back to our homeplaces. It's nice to be able to log in and see what they're all up to, but at the same time I feel like it causes me to be less present in those relationships. If I can see what they're doing without actually calling or texting or emailing them (or writing them a letter), then I often do because my communication skills are not the tops.

So, shouldn't I just drop the facebook account and put forth actual effort in the relationships that are important to me, rather than watching my loved ones' lives go by from a distance, through a screen?

I think that would be much better in promoting self-care as well as meaningful relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment