05 October, 2016

#womancrushwednesday 1: Amy Schumer

#WomanCrushWednesday

To get this started, I've decided to post at least three times a week, on #mancrushmonday, #womancrushwednesday, and #foodforthoughtfriday (if that's not already a thing, I'm making it a thing).

Since today is Wednesday, that means I get to post about my current #womancrushwednesday, Amy Schumer.

Ms. Schumer is this week's #wcw because I am currently listening to her book, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo on Audible and absolutely loving it. Schumer starts the book with a preface about how it's not a memoir because she's still got a lot of life left to live (a good thing, because she's excellent) and how it has a lot of stuff in it that will make you laugh and stuff that will make you not laugh. The whole book is a wonderful rollercoaster of her first 35 years of life, punctuated by annotated journal entries from her past, and including important stories about how she got to where she is today.

Amy Schumer's book, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
Her honesty throughout the book is wonderfully refreshing and I cannot express how glad I am to hear such a visible woman unapologetically discussing things such as 
  • being a grown-up (read: being her own boss and living her life how she wants)
  • sexual encounters (read: yes, women can and do enjoy sex)
  • her own anatomy (read: her vagina)
all things that are generally avoided in day-to-day conversation despite the fact that they're all completely normal things. And this open and honest discussion of taboo topics places her on my list of feminist heroes.

Really, I cannot express enough how important it is to hear someone as popular and well-liked as Amy Schumer talking about things that people try to pretend don't exist. I already like her, but now I like her even more. And the best part is: she probably wouldn't care if I had the exact opposite opinion because she's a strong, secure, confident woman who doesn't really care what people think of her. 

Rock on, Amy Schumer. Rock. On.

xx,
Sienna
The Fierce Feminist

No comments:

Post a Comment